Lighting and composition
Make amazing professional-quality portraits,
capturing the essence of your subjects. Work with models, learn how to
pose them, how to manipulate light to create portraits with
feeling and depth. You’ll also get to take lots of photos of a professional model utilizing three different backdrops and in three different outfits.
What You’ll Learn
Learn how to pose people for awesome portraits as well as different types of lighting situations. We will be bringing a professional model that you’ll be able to photograph for your portfolio. A model-release form will be provided so you can use the images to help build your portfolio.
Overview of Topics
- Effective tips to pose and work with a model/subject
- How to manipulate natural light using reflectors, diffusers, modifiers and other tools
- Explore various backgrounds to create different and unique looks
- How to create professional-looking portfolio pieces
- 10-11AM: classroom breakdown with in-depth instruction on how to work with models and pose them as well as lighting techniques and styles.
- 11AM-NOON: model shoot using available light
- NOON-1PM: model shoot using LED lighting (outfit change)
- 1PM-2PM: model shoot using off-camera flash/strobes (outfit change)
- Bring your digital interchangeable lens camera with a fully-charged battery.
- You can borrow any of our rental lenses or cameras during the shoot for no charge.
Because of the hands-on nature of this class and the complexities of the subject matter it’s limited to 15 people.
$99, plus Eventbrite online processing fee
You are welcome to pay in store to avoid the Eventbrite fee.
Save 10% if you register more than 2 weeks in advance!
Tuition includes lecture and one on one assistance, as well as a $10 coupon that you can use towards anything in-store at any Mike's Camera location!
About your Boulder Instructor:
Winn Robbins is an editorial portrait photographer based in Boulder, CO. With ten years of experience in wedding, photojournalism, and portrait photography, he offers unique insights on the ins and outs of the photographic industry. He also specializes in monochromatic and art photography, bringing an artistic technique to many of his classes and challenging attendees to think outside the box as they create images of their own. For more information on Winn and to see his work and follow his blog, visit www.winslowrobbins.com
About your Menlo Park Instructor:
Jose Luis is from Mexico City and is a Certified Photographer Consultant (CPC). He began working at Mike’s Camera in 2012. Jose is a photographer with 20 years of experience and specializes in portrait photography, as well as weddings, quinceaneras and studio photography. He also teaches classes and conducts one-one-one consultations. Photography is not just a hobby for him, it is an actual way of life… “It’s not just how you hold a camera and snap the picture, it’s the way you see life and everything around you.” Jose Luis absolutely loves photography and it shows in his classes!
About your Dublin Instructor:
Robert Silver is an award-winning and published photographer. With years of commercial, fashion & portrait photography experience Robert has a wealth of information and charismatically informs those he teaches. He is a member of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). Learn more about Robert and see his work: RobertSilverPhotography.com